Today in Philippine History, July 5, 1992, President Ramos opened two Malacañang extension offices

Wednesday July 04, 2012 ()

Malacanang Cebu
(Malacañang sa Sugbo, the Malacanang in the Visayas is located in Cebu City along Morga Street across from Plaza Independencia)

On July 5, 1992, President Fidel Ramos opened two Malacañang extension offices, one in Cebu and the other in Davao, as part of his campaign promise to make the seat of power accessible in the Visayas and Mindanao.

Malacañang Palace is the official residence of the President of the Philippines. It also houses some national government offices such as the Malacañang Museum and the Presidential Museum.

The palace is an 18th century villa along the Pasig River located in the center of Manila. Originally a summer house built by Spanish aristocrat Don Luis Rocha, the structure was sold to Colonel Jose Miguel Formente, and was later purchased by the state in 1825. It has been renovated and expanded through the decades.

In 1937, it became the official residence of the Philippine President. Commonwealth President Manuel L. Quezon was the first Filipino chief executive to live in Malacañang Palace.

Today in Philippine History,  July 5, 1992, President Ramos opened two Malacañang extension offices

The late President Ferdinand E. Marcos and former First Lady Imelda R. Marcos were the longest residents of Malacanang from 1965 to 1986.

Across the Pasig River is Malacañang Park, which contains a golf course, park, billets for the presidential guards, as well as a Commonwealth-era presidential rest house, called Bahay Pangarap, and a recreation hall.

The Malacanang in the Visayas is located in Cebu City. It is a building originally built in 1910 which previously housed the Bureau of Customs office in the Port of Cebu City. The building was restored in 2004 during the administration of Gloria Arroyo.

Reference:
Philippines News Agency


2,868

Comments (Today in Philippine History, July 5, 1992, President Ramos opened two Malacañang extension offices)