Today in Philippine History, August 5, 1621, a group of nuns arrived in Manila to establish the first convent

Friday August 05, 2011 ()

On August 5, 1621, a group composed of 10 nuns of the Franciscan Order arrived in Manila to establish the first convent in the country, the Convento de Santa Clara.

   Sor Geronima de la  Asuncion
   (Mother Geronima de la Asuncion)

Hidden in isolation within Intramuros and named after the Real Convento de Santa Clara of Spain, it was founded by Mother Geronima de la Asuncion, a relative of the Spanish monarch.

Mother Geronima de la Asuncion belonged to a contemplative female branch of the Franciscan Order, popularly called "Poor Clares", after their foundress, St. Clare, a follower of St. Francis of Assisi.

Following the rules of seclusion, the nuns built a 30-foot windowless wall that cut them from the city. The nuns did not leave their convent until 1762, during the British occupation when they left Intramuros to reside in the Franciscan Convent in Santa Ana, where they remained for two years.

The nunnery was dubbed "living death" because women who entered were never seen again by outsiders. The only signs of their existence were the chants that would waft through the monastery chapel during Mass and common prayers.

The monastery is figured in Dr. Jose Rizal’s novel "Noli Me Tangere". It was there that the hapless and tragic Maria Clara found refuge and met her end.

During the last thirty years of her life, Mother Jeronima lived in constant illness. In early September 1630, her health deteriorated. She died at dawn on October 22, 1630 at the age of 75.

Mother Jeronima's remains were first buried in a niche within a wall inside the monastery that she founded, but later experienced several relocations. The first was in 1670 to hinder the activities of local devotees. The second happened in 1712 due to the monastery's reconstruction. At the time, they were placed in the lower choir of the monastery. The third relocation was during the British invasion of Manila in 1763, when the coffin containing her remains was transferred to the Church of St. Francis in Intramuros. Her remains were brought back to the monastery in 1765.

The remains survived a bombing of the monastery during World War II.

In the 1950s, her bones were finally placed permanently at the new monastery at Aurora Blvd. in Quezon City, on a site overlooking the Marikina Valley. However, the construction of the Circumferential Highway C-5 forced the nuns to transfer their convent to a new site near their old monastery along with the remains of Mother Jeronima.

Reference:
Philippines News Agency archives


3,028

Comments (Today in Philippine History, August 5, 1621, a group of nuns arrived in Manila to establish the first convent )